If I can rightly tell, the first time you spot cellulite on the thighs– your thighs, it caught you off guard and the first thought that flowed through your mind is when you are going to be seeing the first grey hair. It usually happens in the dressing room where every last wrinkle and dimple on your body is been revealed by the overhead fluorescent lights. However, I need to tell you that you are not alone in this. Most women have cellulite on the thighs, and you don’t have to reach a certain age or overweight before you have cellulite; there may be many reasons responsible for cellulite on the thighs.
Cellulite is not something you cannot get rid of our body because there are different means by which you can completely rid cellulite on your thigh or other areas of your body. So, before you start panicking yourself out in the dressing room, I will want you to just sit back, take a deep breath, and be ready to learn a few things about how you can rid cellulite naturally from your body by engaging in some few exercises.
What Is Cellulite?
In simple term, Cellulite is a type of fat that accumulates in a particular part of the body. Cellulite has its own unique appearance because it’s a particular type of subcutaneous fat stuck between the fibrous cords and the muscle that connects to the skin. When these fats accumulate, they tend to push more against the skin and thus cause those cords to pull down. That is what causes those disgusting “cottage cheese” appearances.
Who Gets Cellulite More; Men or Women?
Cellulite affects men as much as it affects women. However, if put side by side, women tend to have more cellulite issue than men do. If you will agree with me, women carry has more fat around their thighs and hips yet, they have less supportive connective tissue to keep all the fats in place. Only about 10% of men have cellulite on the thighs.
Is there Any Relationship Between Cellulite and Age?
You might have heard it before that cellulite gets worse with age. Cellulite can come any time after puberty and in anyone, regardless of their weight or gender. It can be seen in young girls, but it’s actually common among older women. Hormone also plays a very important role in cellulite appearance. As women age, less estrogen is been produced by their bodies – this is a hormone that helps the smooth flowing of the blood, therefore less estrogen could also mean poorer circulation of blood. This could simply translate to a decrease in new collagen production as older connective tissues are been broken down as well.
Also, fat gain and muscle loss are more common as we age; both in men and women alike which expressly contributes to having cellulite the thigh.
“Cellulite is not only found among women but also occurs among men though in lower percentage”
Is Cellulite Caused By Toxins in Your Body?
Anyways, that is exactly what many over-the-counter cellulite products want you to believe; they claim they will help you reduce toxins from your body and thus gets rid of cellulite. But this erroneous claim is nowhere supported by science. Rather, cellulite is caused as earlier explained; they occur as a result of accumulations of fat deposit which gradually push through the layers of connective tissues under the skin. It happens mostly around the thigh, buttocks, arms, and stomachs. Therefore, there is no connection between the toxins in your body and cellulite appearance.
Can Cellulite Be Genetic?
Sad but true. Cellulite can be passed along generational lines and inherited by offspring from their parents. However, that doesn’t mean it cannot be removed completely as there are various ways you can completely get rid of cellulite, especially through the combinations of certain exercises.
Do Skinny People Also Get Cellulite?
Of course, cellulite is not only found in overweight people, they also occur among the skinny ones. And if you will remember, having cellulite doesn’t necessarily mean you are overweight. However, either in skinny or overweight individual, cellulite could be completely gotten rid of. Losing weight may be a good place to start for overweight people.
“Skinny people can have cellulite as much as the overweight and it could also be genetic”
How Can My Diet Help Reduce Cellulite Appearance on the thighs?
Not only losing cellulite but also overall body fat, a healthy diet could be of great help. A low-fat diet that consists of lean protein and vegetables is a great way to lose fat. Also, eat more of low glycemic index foods as they have been proven over time to help reduce weight. Foods such as processed foods, sugars, alcohol, and carbs should be cut low in your diet.
Can Regular Exercise Help in Reducing Cellulite on the thighs?
Yes. Engaging in some workout exercises such as strength training could help reduce the appearance of cellulite in any part of your body. Cellulite appears when the connective tissues beneath the skin lose their elasticity and become weak, but engaging in some exercises that help stretch and strengthen that particular part of the body can help reduce cellulite and could as well help reduce fat in the part.
“Weight loss diets combined with the right exercise is a sure way to get rid of cellulite and even cause you to lose overall body weight if overweight”
How Exercise Helps in Getting Rid of Cellulite on the thighs
If you are truly overweight, the best way to lose weight and also reduce cellulite is by engaging yourself in some exercises like strength training. This can help reduce cellulite and it, of course, costs nothing. This is how it works. When you build nice and firm muscles underneath your skin, it feels up the space with solid structure and thus helps to create a smoother surface. Don’t forget the more muscle you build, the more body fat you will be able to burn and more fat burn means little available fat to build cellulite. The web of muscle fibers produced also tightens up and prevent the pushing through of the fat under the skin.
5 Best Exercise To Help Reduce Cellulite on the thighs
Here, I have presented the 5 best strength training exercises that could help you reduce cellulite. These exercises focus on certain areas of the body known as ‘cellulite-prone’ areas such as the thighs and the glutes. Engage in these exercise 2 to 3 times in a week to achieve the best result.
#1: Squats for losing cellulite on the thighs
Squats can help you reduce cellulite in the thighs. You can do the Plié Squat or the Pistol squat; both of them are great for reducing cellulite.
For the squat:
- Try standing with your feet slightly wider than shoulder distance apart and turn your toes out.
- Bend your knees, keep your back straight and lower your torso.
- Then squeeze your glutes and come to standing position.
#2: Side Lunge for losing cellulite on the thighs
This set of exercises; either the walking lunges or the stationary lunges, targets all lower body muscles.
To do this:
- Start by standing with your legs a bit wider than shoulder-distance apart and make your toes pointed forward
- Try shifting your weight on one leg by bending your knee up to an angle of 90 degrees and let the other leg stand straight
- Your glutes are now pressing back behind you
- Bring it back to the center and turn to the other side
- Aim for up to 30 to 50 reps on each leg
#3: Elevated Lunge for losing cellulite on the thighs
The elevated lunge is also a great exercise you can engage to effectively get rid of cellulite on the thighs.
- Start by placing one foot in front of an elevation and reach the other feet back so that your toes are resting on the elevated bench and your heels lifted
- Bend the knee and lower your body slightly toward the floor to ensure your knees are bent up to an angle of 90 degrees.
- Make sure your right knee is not extending in front of your ankle when you lower
- Gently squeeze the glute as you press back to start. Make sure your weight is still been kept on one leg
- Move up and down in many reps as you desire
- Switch sides and start the process again on the other leg
#4: Alternating Glute Squeeze with Resistance Band
This can be done by:
- Bending your elbow and hold the handles close to your hips
- Let both of your feet be on the band at a distance of not more than few width apart
- Raise your left foot and press the band back in such an angle that squeezes your lute
- Keep your leg straight
- Release it and switch to the right leg
#5: Resistance Band Butt Blaster
- Knee on the floor and wrap the band under your right foot
- Place your hands under your shoulder while you still hold handles against the floor
- Lift your right knee slightly off the floor and push the right foot back to make leg extend straight against the band
- Make it squeeze your glute
- Slowly release to bring the knee back into a bent position
- Go for as many reps as you desire
Now you know the simple exercises you can practice to reduce cellulite on the thighs, it’s now left to you to take the right step and start practicing them. However, don’t forget to combine this with the right type of exercise.